The alarm sounded around 9:20 a.m. this Christmas Eve and when the first fire truck arrived at 9:34 a.m.- "heavy smoke" was showing from the 1-story home.
Shortly thereafter- a "smoke inhalation" patient was reported- and their condition sounded to be increasingly serious as an EMS crew was still attempting to reach them as of 9:52 a.m..
Fire has been reported from "the basement" to "the attic-" especially that part of the structure around a "fireplace."
It took until around 10:30 a.m. to put the fire out and the cause (probable defective fireplace flue) was under investigation.
The person that suffered the smoke inhalation was taken to the Excelsior Springs Medical Center in serious condition.
No report of firefighter injuries.