Tuesday, October 16, 2007

KANSAS CITY MetroRegion's WEATHER: Increasing Severe Storm Risk Wednesday

The NWS-Storm Prediction Center has a large part of the southwestern MetroRegion- and even part of Metro Kansas City in a "moderate risk" of severe thunderstorms- and possible tornadoes- on Wednesday.
This is an increase from a "slight risk" for our area depicted on earlier forecasts.

Much of our risk for severe weather tomorrow will be highly dependant on how much sunshine we get. The SPC forecast calls for - among the other forms of severe weather- "possibly strong- long-lived tornadoes" with this outbreak- over most of eastern Kansas- the eastern half of Oklahoma and small parts of southwestern Missouri and northwestern Arkansas.

This "Day-2" forecast will be updated later today- and it will be posted here. ALWAYS have a plan of where to go for shelter when severe storms strike....
_____________

4 comments:

Mark said...

Thanks for the heads up Captain. Quick question. In your opinion, who has the best real-time web radar? Is there a site I can to that has a live streaming feed?

Groucho K. Marx said...

Hiya Mark-

Well- I use a real-time radar program here- and at around $80 bucks- it is WELL worth the price. It's the best thing since indoor privys IMHO. lol

The source of your solution may be the National Weather Service's radar site at http://radar.weather.gov/

They do have provisions for RSS and XML feeds- but I'm not sure if this applies to radar data.

Oh BTW- I just looked at the extended models and we could have another high-end risk for more severe weather on Sunday too.

Maybe we could all put a bucket or jar out to catch all this rain and send it to Atlanta...

Cheers!
-Groucho

Mark said...

Hmmm. It says "Radar is currently undergoing maintenance." I'll give it a try later. Thanks!

I'm surprised no TV station here in town won't at least point a webcam at a screen. Stick an ad in the corner. I don't care.

I need up to date radar before I take my mid-day run. I don't like to be 3 miles from home and have a storm blow in.

Groucho K. Marx said...

OK- I have backup sites for all this stuff- no doubt they're doing radar maintanence before the hammer drops.

Try this site Mark: http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KTWX&prod=n0r&bkgr=black&endDate=20040501&endTime=-1&duration=3


The TV stations in town like to change their raqdar URLs too often- so I can't provide you any reliable link there.

You can always email me and check too Mark... g

Cheers!
-Groucho

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...