Friday, June 15, 2007

Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections In Kansas City-MO.

The City Council recently discussed the traffic camera issue.

Cameras would be placed "at the city's most dangerous intersections" and "photograph license plates" of people running red lights- according to KCCG-Channel 2.

Looking at the latest list available of the city's most dangerous intersections is misleading.
All but two of the ten are intersections of city arterials. The other 8 involve freeways.

Crashes on the freeways are reported at the nearest cross street- which may give the impression all or even the majority of the crashes are occurring where the freeway ramps intersect that street.

The Top 10 list (as of November 2006) is:
No. 1 - I-470 and Blue Ridge Boulevard.
No. 2 -
I-435 and U.S. 71.
No. 3 -
Northwest 64th Street and North Chatham Road.
No. 4 -
Barry Road and U.S. 169.
No. 5 -
Front Street and I-435.
No. 6 -
Gregory Boulevard and I-435.
No. 7 -
Truman Road and U.S. 71.
No. 8 -
103rd Street and State Line Road.
No. 9 -
I-70 and Sterling.
No. 10 - Bannister and U.S. 71.
________________________

1 comment:

Laurie said...

You know, I ride a scooter. And I'm a rather small person. My combined weight, including the scooter, is only about 340 lbs (assuming I have a full tank of gas).

All that to say, the intersection of Blue River and 71 has a sensor light. When I'm heading east on Blue River, this is no problem. But, when I'm coming back, the first light (there are two to cross 71) NEVER recognizes me. Ever. I have sat there for 10 minutes before.

I usually just wait until northbound traffic on 71 has a red light, and then I just take it (even though I still have a red light, too).

Of course, this intersection has a camera. I'm sure they're taking my picture. Thankfully, a 49cc moped need not be registered and therefore I have no plates.

This route is popular among bicyclists, and I wonder what they do at this intersection? Do they, like me, just have to wait 10-20 minutes for a car who is also heading west on Blue River?

Cars turning right on 71 do no trigger the light for me. Cars coming from the other way do no trigger the light either. They get a green light, but I still don't. I can see the second light turn green, but mine stays red literally forever, unless/until another car happens behind me (which is very rare).

They need to fix this sensor. I don't want to have to break the law just to make it home before I run out of gas.

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...