Friday, March 16, 2012

CSW Commentary: Kansas City News Media Coverage of Shootings is ALL About Location

A suburban Kansas City teenager gets shot once accidentally by a friend and it's in the local news media for days...


An inner-city teen gets shot three times on purpose and- except for the story here at CSW- it's not even news on any of the four TV newscasts or the city's print news monopoly.


I know that in the local corporate news media there IS a distinction- I was told as much once.


Yes- back in the 1990's while I was employed by one of this burg's media giants (I'm not disclosing who- and don't ask) I was basically told by one of their representatives that inner-city shootings weren't as important as those that happened in lower-crime areas (the suburbs).


I recall my reaction at the time still: "Oh REALLY???"


The news came off to me like an inner-city life just wasn't as important as a suburban life (see the difference in school districts- etc).


In short- it REALLY offended me in so much that ANY shooting- or violence- ANYWHERE- should be be given the harsh light of exposure.


There are decent- law-abiding folks stuck in the inner-city as much as others run to suburbia and exurbia to escape crime.


If yesterday's 15-year-old victim had been shot in suburbia- it would be leading news.


But yesterday's shooting of a teenager didn't appear to be news at all.... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I work for a metro ambulance service. You are spot on. I remember running a call two years ago. It was in the urban core. A guy was shot square in the chest and the attacker ran off. The victim was willing to prosecute. Seemed like a totally random crime. Other people who saw it happen said the same thing: guy just walking to the store got blasted and the shooter ran off.

I never heard a peep from the news. Of all the shootings I've run in the time I've worked here, I bet less than 25% of them are on the news. Stabbings, even less. I bet one stabbing in 20 makes the news.

Shocking to me. People have no idea how many shootings there are in the metro that never get reported.

I actually read your blog to get some follow up on my calls. Nobody else has it.

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...