Tuesday, July 01, 2008

AP: "Experts Say Flood Terminology Misleads The Public"

DUH!

I commented on this very fact in my earlier flood posts- that it seems we're having 100 & 500-year floods MUCH more often than the terms advertise.

In THIS AP story- a few "officials" are asked just why that is- it's all based on the limited climatology- i.e.- weather records in the US of A- all of which don't even go back 500 years.

And the stats surely don't take in account a number of factors like urbanization and climate modification.

I look upon all the structures locally in floodplains- uninsured for floods- and I shake my head.
___________

No comments:

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...