Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Fifteen Yard Penalty- Delay Of Reporting Problems At KU-MU Game

Many times- I think the news media in this town does nothing but cheer lead.

Take for example this morning's story in THE KANSAS CITY STAR- regarding the fan complaints from last Saturday's KU-MU football game at Arrowhead.

THE STAR relied on 2 letter writers for information. I relied on the radio frequency that dispatched security people to whatever problem arose.

Diane and I listened to the sideshows from about the 2nd quarter of the game- several instances involving their own security people needing assistance. There were 2 instances where a person "hijacked" the security golf carts in the parking lot- and drove them around the parking lots until they were stopped. A general overview of what we heard was posted HERE.

Assaults? Fights? At LEAST a dozen. Plus- I wouldn't EVER want to sit directly below a lip to a higher deck of the stadium unless I wanted a shower of beer and any other unknown liquid from those above. We heard at least a half-dozen of those occurrences.

In answer to people who seemed concerned that too many security people were assigned to "protect the playing field" from intruders: there were 2 radio calls toward the very end of the game TRYING to get those necessary security people to those field posts- so much stuff was happening in the stands ("we only have a quarter of the people we need" one broadcast stated with less than two minutes in the game.)

I am not a newsroom staffed with dozens of reporters and photographers- yet I was quite able to follow the action on the field AND off of it.

I do not have a college journalism degree- but it's my innate news sense that ALL aspects of any major event- such as the 2nd largest crowd in Arrowhead's 35-year history- should and must be covered.

THE STAR mentions how neither school received many complaints about how security and amenities at the game went. I'm sure people smacked- shoved and/or showered with beer make a beeline to their phones to complain to unresponsive university officials.

Gimme a fugging break!!!

Oh- heh- I won't even get into the Chief's "pat-down" policy of frisking paying fans as they enter the stadium- only to say you will NOT see me at any functions held by any business that regard their paying customers as potential criminals (air travel notwithstanding).

The money I save by not going to Chief's games or buying newspapers that don't tell the whole story allows me to purchase appliances that CAN tell me what is REALLY going on in this town.

COMING: Update on weekend winter storm - stay tuned....
___________

No comments:

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...