Monday, December 14, 2009

Missouri Unemployment Benefits and the Full Employment Council-Catch 22



I
am currently unemployed, seeking gainful employment, and receiving unemployment benefits. I am also registered at the Full Employment Council in hopes that they can help me seek gainful employment.



I received an email from my caseworker at the Full Employment Council last Friday for a class available to me (tuition paid), beginning today ending the last week of January. I was so excited, but then. And, here is the Catch!



If I attended the class, I would become unavailable for my part time (Christmas) seasonal job. And, therefore my unemployment benefits would cease.


I spoke with a clerk at the Missouri Employment Security office, and her supervisor, who stated a bunch of facts and was of no assistance, except to tell me I could not attend class and receive unemployment benefits, based on the fact that I would lose my job to attend class.



I called the Missouri Appeals Tribunal to inquire regarding an appeal of the previous information, and they could not advise me either, except to tell me it would take five weeks to get to be heard, and there was no guarantee of the outcome in favor of my continuing to receive unemployment benefits regarding my situation.



It just goes to show that all we hear about adults furthering their education, and how our Government will help is a bunch of hoop-la. I am angry because I try so hard to work with the laws and regulations in order to survive during these difficult times, only to be denied education or unemployment benefits (it's one, or the other).


Is anyone out there who can help me? Either with the logistics of this email or gaining full time work? I am interested in working full time. I am very qualified and have a long list of references. And, I would love to further my education. But, after today's news, this really is not how things work. How sad that what we hear, is not really true.



Mr. Obama, if I sent an email, would you have time to hear my story? Is anyone listening who really cares?

____________

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There are many unemployed workers on both the Missouri and Kansas sides of the state line who take full advantage of the Workforce Investment Act funds available to them, AND do not lose their unemployment benefits. As a college administrator I have been working and scheduling classes with many of them for the past several years and they all continue to receive their benefits while attending classes tuition free.

Ms. Rittenhouse said...

I understand what you are conveying, and yes, that is true. However; the catch is that one must be able to attend the class. I was working part time and would have lost my job if I chose to go to school, and been denied unemployment based on that fact. So, it remains a Catch 22 for me.
If you believe you can help me, please email me. Thank you.

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...