Saturday, August 01, 2009

Alaska Cruise - Part 3: Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Whittier, Anchorage, then Home to KCMO



T
he last 2 days of the cruise we spent aboard the Sapphire Princess touring. She had picked up National Park Rangers, who would be broadcasting throughout the ship regarding the sights we would be viewing for the next 2 days.


Early morning, on July 2, we passed by the westerly tip of Strawberry Island and Queen Inlet. Just passed Parker point and Jaw point, as we were touring Glacier Bay National Park, Lamplugh Glacier came into view. As we sailed to the opposite side of the glacier, we spotted two bears. We continued up the bay to the stunning Grand Pacific and at 1104 AM we stopped in front of Margerie Glacier, where we witnessed glacier calving (portions of the glacier falls into the water). While having dinner (steak & shrimp) that evening, we all watched out the windows and a Bald Eagle (America's National Bird) flew by.



Later that afternoon, we traveled North Westerly through the Gulf of Alaska enroute to College Fjord. And, on July 3, shortly before noon, we passed Hinchinbrook Island and Montague Island as we entered Prince William Sound. Around 1630 we passed Meares point, and then Perry Passage.
The Sapphire Princess entered into College Fjord @1700 when she passed Coghill Point. College Fjord is the hidden jewel of Prince William Sound. As we entered this narrow channel outlined by mountains and punctuated by ice-blue glaciers, I could not help but stand in awe. Later, as we ate dinner (crab legs....yummy!) we all shared many fond memories and prepared for disembarking the next morning.


Sunset, July 3rd was at 11:33PM and we arrived at Whittier, AK at midnight. The announcement came. We had been invited to witness Whittier's 4th of July fireworks show (also Alaska's 50th year celebration as a part of the United States of America) from the Sapphire Princess. But...it's still light outside! And, even though I had never seen fireworks when it was light outside, the show was fantastic! Some of the 13 of us on this cruise had a hard time getting to sleep. As for me, that was nothing new, I hadn't slept much the whole trip.

We disembarked the Sapphire Princess, boarded the bus around 9AM July 4th and toured the Alaskan Highway from Whittier to Anchorage. Our driver was very informative, and the sights were breathtaking, a must see!!



Since the 1st leg of my flight home would not leave until 10:55 PM on July 4th, I would spend the day visiting Anchorage.
The day was beautiful, cool and sunny. I visited Anchorage Farmer's Market(a very unique experience), toured the city & visited the Wildride Sled Dog Rodeo. Everyone who knows me, knows I get mushy (pardon the expression) regarding dogs. I am one of those, yes... a dog rescuer. On the way in, I held a 2 week old baby musher. OMGosh....tears of wonder streamed from my face. And, with his eyes not open yet, as he curled into my neck, I was glad to be going home that day. It was Showtime: Two teams raced as a hostess told about how the dogs are trained, what essentials are needed for a long pull, and I even learned that these dogs eat 8 times a day when working. Their is special gear for keeping them warm, and they get massages to help with sore muscles. (And I thought my dog was spoiled!) I watched a lead dog steering demonstration, while gaining understanding of just how much weight a dog can pull. But, when I saw the 16 dog Iditarod team pull a 10,000 lb. truck (truck was in neutral), I stood to watch in amazement.


I arrived home in Kansas City, MO early July 5th and was greeted by Captain Spaulding and my daughter (my son and his girl were in Florida). I could not stop talking about this once in a lifetime adventure and all I saw and did. I missed everyone so!! After we drove my daughter home, the Captain & I looked briefly at over 100+ videos and pictures, then took a much needed nap. He had worked all night, and I had slept very little thru the whole cruise. Finally, I could rest in his arms, where I sleep like a baby.

This trip was different than any I had ever experienced. If you ever get a chance to go to Alaska, do not hesitate. You will be amazed. I was!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sold , should I have the opportunity to ever take my grandaughter on the same cruise, it will be a go. Nicely written Article , all 3 parts. A big hello to you Mrs. D. Rittenhouse and the Capt'n...

JS ( Birdie)

Ms. Rittenhouse said...

A great big KC hello to you, also! Thank you for your encouraging comment; these were my 1st attempts at blogging. And, I do so appreciate the "open house" when I 1st thought I'd be passing thru Vancouver! Cruising gives one so much freedom to grow personally. Things one might see in books/TV/videos come alive! You go, girl! Maybe someday we can chat/share some. I'd really enjoy that!

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...