Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Celebrity Meet and Greets



I've never set out to meet any "celebrity."


I figured they dressed themselves in the same manner and breathe the same air as I do- they just had more notoriety and money than I do.

Yeah- I've met most local TV celebs- most of whom now pass-off as news readers. Met too a number of radio celebrities- though like the TV non-news reading celebrity- they've mostly faded away.

The manner I've met who I have varies greatly- mostly by being in the right place at the right time.

My first celebrity meet-up came about 1961 when I was a little guy in tow of my grandfather who was visiting his favorite restaurant on 31st Street off Troost.

I noticed a crowd around one guy- that's one guy's voice sounded too familiar. A dozen or so steps brought me face to knee with one of the most beloved western characters to ever play on American television.

It was Dan Blocker who played Hoss Cartwright on Bonanza.

Mr. Blocker said "How you doin' lil guy! as I smiled and replied in my well-behaved way: "Fine thank you- Mr. Blocker."

The guy was HUGE and every bit as friendly and real as he appeared on TV.

Dan Blocker passed away unexpectedly in 1972- and I took his passing personally.

I met Harry Truman that same year when our class took a tour of the Truman Library and the President gave all of us a brief talk.

My hero gave me some advice I never forgot when he shook my hand- ALWAYS have a firm handshake and look that person in the eye while doing so.

That got me further than any advice I've ever been given.

Probably the biggest celebrity meeting was Elvis Presley on April 21- 1976 at Kemper Arena.

The captain of Pumper Company No. 9 wanted to go
"drilling" that evening- and the "drill" was Kemper.

The other firefighter on 9's- Joe Spero and I took the company walkie-talkie and went down the sloped driveway to the rear of the backstage area hoping to catch a glimpse of this musical icon.

Soon- an obviously obese and seemingly bummed-out Elvis made his way down a ramp from the dressing rooms with his considerable entourage. Joe and I stood a good 30 feet away when Elvis came down to the backstage curtain- then he stopped.

Seeing us- Elvis broke away from his group of handlers and came toward the 2 of us decked out in our firecoats and helmets.

His demeanor changed considerably- Elvis smiled and asked "Where's the fire boys?" As we met his outstretched hand with ours as we introduced- I replied "No fire Mr. Presley- we just thought we might get a chance to see you."

Elvis was pleased. He invited Joe and I to his private box next to the stage. We went in and sat down- next to Elvis' squeeze at the time- Linda Thompson. She was quite gracious as we watched Elvis' opening number- but we could barely hear the communications on the walkie-talkie so we bowed out.

Joe and I always thought Elvis would have loved to briefly leave the packed Kemper and go tooling around on the fire engine in a borrowed coat and helmet- playing with the lights and siren and ringing the bell.

We never asked him though.

One day perhaps I'll add to this list- like the time I actually made money off one Beach Boy and another time when I almost had a head-on collision with Brian Wilson.

Heh.

________

No comments:

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...