Thursday, July 31, 2008

Photo Essay Of A Kansas City-MO Eyesore: Old Bannister Mall



As we South Kansas City residents eagerly await it's destruction- the old Bannister Mall still stands.


This is supposed to be the site of a new soccer stadium for the K.C. Wizards- as well as the location of new office buildings and- ready for this- retail.


New retail- heh. You can see what's left of the old retail here.

In fact- only one business remains open in that stretch of Chuck Eddy Drive (Hillcrest Road). Thank you- Burlington Coat Factory.

The next to last business- an IHOP- recently closed- posting this reason on their door.


The only NEW construction in the past 10 years along this road has been a new fire station. The old one sits empty on Bannister Road west of Chuck Eddy Drive.

Lane4 Development: PLEASE let all of us South Kansas Citians know when the demolition of this eyesore begins.

We'd like one last look at The Monument to governmental and citizen indifferance before it's gone....


____________

1 comment:

Anna said...

I live in the same part of KC as you- south KC/6th district (I'm near the ruskin area). It's really sad that everything has deteriorated the way it has, and I agree with you on many things. People who are (or should I say are failing at) running the city don't give a rats ass about this part of town and I wish something could wake them up to give a damn, but ensuing corruption matters more to them than the well-being of those who live in these parts of the city.

The Bannister Mall/Benjamin Plaza area was 'the shit' back in the day. That was a memory, long long ago, where I would embark upon clothing sales at DEB and Rainbow, buy a good pair of dress shoes at Sears, get gym shoes at Ladie's footlocker, buy earrings and hair clips at Claire's, maybe pick up a couple of rare import CDs at Camelot Music, then have a filling meal at Original Greek. If I wasn't satisfied with what I found at the mall, there'd always be options nearby, like wally world (for general stuff) and best buy (when it came to cds).

The last time I went to Bannister mall (in '06) I went to an eyeglass repair shop (who was almost closed), I spotted a sign in an urban barbershop nearby. The sign was printed cheaply off the printer. It was worded "Barber on DUITY!" That says something right there.

God bless Burlington's. I went there not too long ago, and although it was infested with weird low-income shady people looking to rip them off, they still gave a damn about security and staying in business. GameStop is still in business too. They also give a damn about security too, from what I've seen. I never ventured into GenX. It doesn't appeal to me.

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...