Monday, August 13, 2007

My Minute With Elvis

August 16 will mark the 30th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death.

Besides Kansas City's annual Elvis parade Friday- there will actually be an Elvis impersonator contest in Memphis at Graceland itself.

I met Elvis a little more than a year before he died.

Standing far backstage in 1976 at Kemper Arena with Firefighter Joe from blogpost "Pumper 9 Was Left To Burn"- Elvis appears from his dressing room- looking bloated and haggard.



He makes his way down the inclined walkway with his entourage- pumps himself up- then sees Joe and I in our fire turnout gear- walks over to us- his eyes all lit up- and says "Where's the fire boys? Hi- I'm Elvis."

Like Joe and I didn't know who The King of Rock & Roll was. We shook hands.

Elvis invites Joe and I to sit in his personal box next to the stage. We grabbed the pumper's portable radio and go- and end up sitting next to Elvis' girl at the time- Linda Thompson.

Elvis opened with 'America The Beautiful'- but because I couldn't hear the walkie-talkie even against my ear- we left about midway through.

When our hands touched and eyes met- I got this incredible feeling from Elvis of tiredness- of a simple man who was sucked into a giant publicity vortex and couldn't escape.

To this day- I think had we invited Elvis out to the fire truck for a ride around Kemper with lights and sirens- he would have left 15000 cheering fans waiting to do just that.

He may not have wanted to come back. R.I.P. Elvis....

_____________________

2 comments:

Xavier Onassis said...

Cool story!

I think I'll commemorate the occasion by renting "Bubba Ho-Tep" again.

Groucho K. Marx said...

HaHaHa!

Thanx XO...

-Groucho

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...