Wednesday, April 02, 2008

D-U-I Checkpoints Are A Waste Of Police Resources



KC-MO police recently stopped 286 vehicles at a Plaza-area checkpoint.


Seven (7) drivers were charged with driving under the influence of whatever.

Meanwhile that same night- several police patrol zones were "blacked out"- or had no cars available to run calls.

We probably could use the dozen or so officers that run these D-U-I checkpoints to PATROL THE STREETS.

I don't know how many obviously impaired drivers I see in locations not around these checkpoints.

However- don't bother being a good citizen and call in a license number and vehicle description.

If that patrol zone even dispatches the call within 10 minutes of YOUR call- chances are they have no officers available to seek out that driving drunk.
______________

4 comments:

Dan said...

Great post - I wrote on this same topic this morning, but I didn't have the information about the black outs.

Infuriating.

They claim they have no money for new officers, but squander resources hassling hundreds of law-abiding citizens.

Groucho K. Marx said...

HaHa Dan- saw your post later that day and a good job on that with spirited debate.

Cheers-
Groucho

Anonymous said...

10 minutes? You can get a cop to your house in 10 minutes? Someone tried to abduct my wife. Grabbed her by the arm and tried to yank her in a car. 45 minutes later, PD shows up. Asks, "Where's the car?? She said, "Uh, I really doubt they hung around." PD says, "What's the license number?" Oh, when I was fighting for my life, I grabbed a pen and paper to jot that down.

Please. Worthless. I've given up on the cops. I just let the crime happen since there's no point in calling when it takes so long to come.

Groucho K. Marx said...

Frightening story anon #1...

Back in 1998- I called the KC-MO PD for an assault in progress and it took them 25 minutes to respond.

On a sunny- warn weekday afternoon no less.

Police response times in the event of a immediate & dire need is a GREAT argument for private firearm ownership as well as concealed carry.

If the fire department or MAST-EMS had the PD's response times- we'd ALL be loading ourselves down with firefighting and medical equipment.

Cheers-
Groucho

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...