Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Now Playing

The music we hear is the fabric upon which many of our lives is sewn. In late 1969, I happened to first see who would become that fabric in mine.

On a cold, rainy September day, guitar licks from somebody who many said "sounded like Hendrix" drew us to the stage at the KC International Raceway grounds.


Chicago Transit Authority would become simply Chicago the next year. According to many 'ex-fans,' the band would become too commercial in another four. The guy who sounded like Hendrix - Terry Kath - would die in less than 9 years from that September day.

Yet their music became the music of my life - the raiser of spirit and the searcher of soul.


Ladies and gentlemen - for those of you who have loved and lost - I dedicate to you ...
Thunder And Lightning

(From Chicago 14. ©1980 Words and Music by Robert Lamm, Danny Seraphine and Peter Cetera)

I thought, that you thought, that we thought,
We were bound to each other;
But it's not that way, we don't care
About one another;
Thunder and lightning, showed me all
The threats you weren't saying;
Thunder and lightning,
Gonna' throw it all away;

Thunder and lightning, and you touched
My life without warning;
Oh how I loved you, you loved me,
Now, what are we thinking?
Thunder and lightning, will burn you
Just as sure as I'm singing;
Thunder and lightning,
Didn't know our love would end this way;

You got your way, we're to blame,
but that's okay;
Another time, another place,
It's one more game;
After all is said and done,
we'll overcome,
The psychological setback of a time on the run;

It hurt to see you play games that
Were so one-sided,
I dealt the cards but the aces
Were in your back pocket;
Thunder and lightning, won't let you
Alone 'til I'm paying;
Thunder and lightning,
Didn't know our love could end this way.

_______________________________________

No comments:

Tornado Strikes Monroe LA With Confirmed Injuries

The tornado struck around noon on Easter Sunday. There is considerable damage repo rted in that northeastern Louisiana city of around 5000...